This full-time position is responsible for delivery and inventory management functions at customer locations. He/she makes 20-30 customer stops on a typical day, working in all weather and driving conditions, and is responsible for generating new and repeat sales.
Do you enjoy working in a fast-paced, team-based workplace and delivering outstanding customer service? Don’t wait to apply, if your positive attitude is contagious and you are looking for a great career with an innovative, family-owned and family-orientated company.
Day in and day out, we strive to be the everyday heroes who help make life work better. Join our team of everyday heroes today!
- Deliver a full variety of cryogenic and gaseous cylinders to customers.
- Replenish empty customer tanks of all sizes.
- Customer tanks may be located indoors or outdoors.
- Follow approved procedures for safe handling and delivery of product.
- Operate motor vehicle to transport Hazardous Material and equipment safely. Drive carefully and obey all traffic laws
- Handle emergency situations as they arise professionally and in accordance with appropriate protocol.
- Manage customer’s inventory of industrial gases and consumables to avoid outages.
- Work with customers to service and restock inventory in a professional and timely manner.
- Resolve customer issues regarding products or equipment malfunctions. Maintain good working relationships by ensuring that customers receive the best customer service.
- Communicate with appropriate staff, accurately track product and delivery information, and create and maintain a variety of records and documents.
- Complete pre-trip inspection of vehicle.
- Record and maintain accurate sales and delivery paperwork on a daily basis.
- Document incidents, communicate concerns to appropriate staff and give to supervisor immediately for investigation.
- Perform minor preventive maintenance on vehicles and inform supervisor as appropriate for other maintenance needed for vehicles.
- Perform minor preventive maintenance such as ensuring appropriate tire pressure, adding washer fluid, clean mirrors, etc.
- Wash and clean interior including disposing of garbage.
- Take vehicles to garage for maintenance and repairs as scheduled.
- Perform emergency repairs to vehicles on the road or get assistance as appropriate.
- Ensure proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies and promote continuous improvement of workplace safety.
- Identify and correct all unsafe conditions and practices and communicate actions to appropriate individuals.
- Develop business plans, in conjunction with your supervisor that ensures attainment of company sales goals and profitability.
- Create strategies to identify sales leads and prospects.
- Call on prospective customers to solicit new business.
- Initiate and coordinate development of action plans to penetrate new markets.
- Maximize all opportunities in the process of closing a sale.
- Organize and process paperwork correctly daily.
- Generate new and repeat sales by making recommendations to prospects and clients of various solutions the company offers to their current needs.
- Provide timely, accurate, competitive pricing while striving to maintain maximum profit margin.
- Determine customer requirements and expectations in order to recommend appropriate solutions.
- Proactively recommend services needed by customers to increase satisfaction and improve transaction profitability.
- Provide exceptional customer service to all prospects and clients whether on the phone, in person or through electronic communications.
Performs miscellaneous projects and complete various tasks as requested by management.
Education, Experience and Certifications
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Must be able to attain a Class A CDL with HAZMAT and Tanker Endorsement.
- One or more years of experience operating large vehicles preferable; or an equivalent combination of experience and training required.
- Willingness to work outdoors in all weather and driving conditions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of DOT regulations and HAZMAT requirements.
- Detailed knowledge of state and local laws governing operation of motor vehicles on highways and city streets including obeying all traffic laws.
- Able to manage the driving schedule and to plan and prepare ahead.
- Must possess excellent time management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to perform basic math computations to include percentages.
- Basic computer knowledge and keyboard skills.
- Able to plan, prioritize, coordinate, and manage own work. Able to work unsupervised, make decisions and solve routine problems independently, effectively and creatively.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to interact effectively with a variety of people and personalities inside and outside the organization.
- Communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing to all levels of people inside and outside the organization, including possessing good English speaking skills, fluency and understandability.
- Able to display high levels of customer service, responding promptly and thoroughly to the inquiries and needs of individuals both internal and external to the organization.
- Ability to make sales calls, provide accurate pricing and proposal models and possess solid negotiating and closing skills.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS NECESSARY TO PERFORM THIS JOB
- Able to lift, carry and/or push/pull up to 60 lbs. frequently.
- Twist, turn, bend, stoop, kneel, squat, stand, walk and reach frequently in the performance of responsibilities.
- Hear, speak and effectively verbally communicate in the English language, including following oral and written instructions, in order to communicate with staff and customers.
- Sit for extended periods of time and perform long hours of work sitting in a vehicle.
- Move around repeatedly throughout the day including in and out of vehicles.
- Apply manual dexterity to handle and manipulate objects, tools and controls.
- Visual acuity and ability for safe operation of a motorized vehicle, and to review detailed reports and information.
- Able to work a flexible work schedule, including overtime, as required to meet customer needs.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
- Large vehicles
- Telephone, calculator, copy/scan/fax machine, computers, printers, and other office equipment.
- Must have steel-toed boots to perform job functions.
Primarily outdoors and at the locations of customers. The incumbent must be able to be flexible about being in and out of the vehicles throughout the day. There will be exposure to a variety of weather conditions. There will also be some exposure to hazardous materials. Hazards are reduced when proper safety procedures are followed.
ABOUT CENTRAL MCGOWAN / WE WORK FOR YOU
Central McGowan was founded in 1965 with the merger of McGowan Welding Supply of Little Falls (founded in 1947) and Central Welding Supply of St. Cloud. In 2015, the company added a custom automation and robotic division in St. Cloud, MN. Today, our distribution footprint spans 40,000 square miles of Minnesota, and includes 3 retail stores in St. Cloud, Little Falls and Burnsville; a CO2 distribution hub/store in Fargo, ND and St. Paul, respectively; and more than 70 dealers statewide. Our dedicated Automation Center serves customers through the Midwest, coast to coast, and in Texas.
After decades of doing business, we believe quality and integrity are the keys to our business, as is always putting our customers first. And we believe our employees are the reason for our success and are proud of their loyalty, dedication, and longevity. We are committed to providing a safe, challenging, and rewarding work environment where our employees can thrive.
We are a great place to work with outstanding people, loyal customers, and an awesome benefits package. If you are interested, we would love to have you apply today!